Position Job Title: Web Design Specialist (WordPress Gutenberg)
Reports To: Director of Marketing and Communications
Application: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
University of Niagara Falls Canada (UNF) is looking to hire a Web Designer to join our in-house Marketing and Communications team. This position will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications. The ideal candidate for the role will possess proven experience in designing and developing high converting websites using WordPress Gutenburg, as well as expertise and a deep understanding of web accessibility. This individual should demonstrate a capacity for designing and implementing web pages and sites, maintaining our web portfolio, and working closely with our marketing team to translate user needs into functional, accessible digital experiences.
A successful candidate will exhibit adaptability, a willingness to embrace challenges and learn new technologies, along with excellent problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and strong communication abilities. The successful candidate for this role will by responsible for the day-to-day management of UNF’s website as well as implementing SEO, CRO and accessibility best practices. If you are a self-motivated WordPress expert who is able to work both independently as well as in a virtual team setting, we want to hear from you.
- Design and develop new web pages for UNF’s website as well as building new features and functionalities.
- Update websites to ensure compliance with WCAG 2.0 and 2.1 guidelines.
- Adapting color usage and contrast to enhance readability and user experience.
- Developing and conceptualizing a comprehensive UI/UX design strategy for the website.
- Ensuring all pages have clear and concise headings.
- Implementing descriptive error messages for form inputs to assist users in successful form completion.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with existing web applications and sites.
- Work closely with external vendors to identify security vulnerabilities and to address any technical issues that may arise.
- Define web site architecture and overall site structure.
- Participate in setting organizational web management strategy.
- Conduct research into current and emerging web technologies and issues in support of web development efforts.
- Perform periodic web site audits.
- Monitor and report on web site traffic and performance.
- Provide regular maintenance and updates to WordPress themes and plugins.
- Maintain pages and ensure website information is up to date.
- Manage website update request tickets.
- Post articles and other custom post types as requested.
- Updating HTML, CSS and PHP as needed.
- Working with members of the Digital Marketing team to ensure the website aligns with brand strategy and meets all UNF standards.
- Implement SEO/CRO best practices.
- Assist with landing pages and web form creation and optimization.
- Assist with other digital marketing activities as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience.
- At least 3+ of WordPress experience, including familiarity with a wide range of plugins and custom theme development.
- Extensive experience using WordPress Gutenberg. Experience using WordPress VIP would be considered an asset.
- Comprehensive experience in designing and implementing interactive corporate websites.
- Familiarity with computer graphic and multimedia design.
- Ability to gather and analyze business requirements.
- Ability to contribute to multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to develop user stories to address user requirements.
- In-depth understanding of web technologies, protocols, and tools.
- Experience in developing for assistive technologies like screen readers and speech recognition software.
- Experience in setting up development environments.
- Knowledge of security controls.
- A thorough understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues.
- A strong understanding of responsive web design techniques.
- A positive and upbeat attitude with the ability to learn quickly.
- Strong project management, multitasking, and problem-solving ability.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Eagerness to learn, adapt, and take on new challenges.
- Excellent knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Very strong customer service orientation.
Diversity and Inclusivity Statement
University of Niagara Falls, Canada (UNF) is strongly committed to equity, diversity, and inclusivity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of color, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. University of Niagara Falls, Canada recognizes that applicants may have had obligations outside of work that have negatively impacted their record of achievements (e.g., parental, elder care, and/or medical). You are not required to disclose these obligations in the hiring process. If you choose to do so, UNF will ensure that these obligations do not negatively impact the assessment of your qualifications for the position.
We greatly appreciate your time and efforts in applying for the position at University of Niagara Falls Canada, however, please note only successful candidates will be contacted.
If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org